In 1909, an undertaking business was opened by John T. Smith in the old Savings Bank Building located south of the Stone Bridge.
His son, Keeley Smith, joined his father in the family business in 1928, became a partner in 1936 and the name was changed to John T. Smith & Son.
In 1937, the Funeral Home moved to its current location at 63 Elm Street, where it has been for over 75 years.
James E. Heald became a partner and the name was changed to Smith & Heald Funeral Home. In the early 1970s, Jim was joined by his brother Richard B. Heald. By 1978, Mr. Heald was the sole owner of the last remaining Funeral Home in Milford. In the mid 1980s, two of Mr. Heald's daughters joined the business working with their father until his retirement in 1995.
Today the business is operated by two of his daughters, Deborah L. Quinlan and Gretchen Heald-Brooks.